"Solving business problems with
Established 1974 Continuously in business since 1983
COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS InfoTech was established as a part-time venture in 1974 by
Bruce Grant, an ex-IBMer. It became
a full-time business in late 1983, and was incorporated in 1989. Although still
specializing in IBM mainframe Systems Programming (z/OS, OS/390, MVS),
COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS InfoTech has since expanded into
- Project Management and Data Center Management
- Information Security,
- Networking (WAN and LAN),
- Small Business Technical and Accounting consulting,
- Website design, upgrades, and troubleshooting, and
- Digital Telephone System installation and configuration.
||Looking for electrical or carpentry services?
Visit the website of our sibling business,
|C.E.S. Productions/Cost-Effective Solutions
The offices of COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS InfoTech are in Belmont, California, located midway
between San Francisco and San Jose on the San Francisco Peninsula, just North of Silicon
Valley near Oracle corporate headquarters. We service clients throughout Northern
California, and elsewhere as required. Almost all of our Clients fit into one of
two major categories:
- Fortune 500/1000 companies (75-80% of our clientele)
- Small businesses with 100 or fewer employees that wish to:
- use their existing computer systems in a more cost-effective manner,
- implement or upgrade a Local Area Network (LAN),
- implement customized accounting systems, and/or
- implement new computer software or complete systems.
- connect to the Internet (possibly with their own domain name and website, designed and
created by us),
The primary objective
of COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS is to save each client time and money. If we do so, we know
our own business will increase, as the client company reaps the benefit of a good return on their
investment, and we enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done. As proof, we have several
clients for whom we've had multiple contracts
We are confident enough in our abilities to save our client companies time and money that we
guarantee the minimum Return On Investment, including reduced expenses and/or
increased revenues (direct and indirect), will, within 3 years, be at least double what we have
invoiced, so long as our work products continue to be used throughout that period.
Typically, the ROI in that time period is 8 to 10 times our invoice total, often even
Our approach is to learn what our clients' business objectives and problems are, and what their
technical and/or accounting problems are, then design and implement business solutions (which
typically are a combination of technical improvements and modifications to existing practices).
COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS InfoTech has many years of proven expertise in:
Management and Data Center Management since 1969
- Operating System upgrades and conversions since late 1969
- System Software configuration, installation, upgrades and conversions since 1972
- Application Software configuration, installation, upgrades and conversions since 1974
- Change Management Systems: design, configuration, installation, upgrades and conversions since 1975
- Problem Management Systems: design, configuration, installation, upgrades and conversions since 1977
- Data Center upgrades and relocations since 1973
mainframe Systems Programming since 1969
- z/OS, OS/390, MVS, JES2, CTS (CICS), ACF/VTAM
Systems Security and EDP Audit consulting services
- for IBM mainframe systems and networks since 1977
- for Local Area Networks since 1987
- Design, configuration, installation and upgrades of our own Security Administration "front-end" software system,
ASA/TSSTM, since 1986
This ISPF-based product interfaces with CA-TSS and CA-ENF under MVS-OS/390, and with all major
z/OS-MVS-OS/390 subsystems, such as TSO and CICS, as well as with VAX and UNIX systems networked
with MVS-OS/390 and z/OS systems. It is also adaptable to RACF and to Microsoft system
administration tools for LANs. Three of our clients have ASA/TSS
installed. In one case, the client company has saved more than 85% of its security
administration time by using ASA/TSS to replace their prior security
administration procedures. One of the results was the immediate elimination of a planned
addition to their Security Adminstration staff and the eventual elimination of another position
via attrition. Please contact us
today for details about ASA/TSS
mainframe Operator and Programmer Training since 1972
PC User and
Programmer Training since 1987
implementation of computer networks of any size, from small LANs to huge
- IBM mainframe network design and implementation since 1971
- ACF/VTAM, TCP/IP, CICS/ESA, CICS/VS
- IBM and IBM-compatible PC Local Area Network design and implementation since 1987
- TCP/IP, Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000, Invisible LAN, LANtastic, NETBEUI
business technical and accounting consulting
- Microcomputer consulting services since 1982
- hardware configuration and installation
- software configuration, installation and customization
- Windows XP, 2000, NT, ME, 9x, OS/2 Warp, Windows 3.x, MS-DOS
- Microsoft Office XP, 2000, 97, 95
- Hundreds of other software packages (ask us!)
- applications design and programming
- Accounting consulting services for small businesses since 1989
- Training owners and/or staff in basic double-entry accounting, with an emphasis
on differences between business and personal accounting, especially as related to
taxes and business legal obligations
- Setting up Charts of Accounts for General Ledger
- Implementing Accounts Receivable (invoicing, statements, etc.)
- Implementing Accounts Payable
- Implementing Inventory systems
- Accounting software configuration, installation, and customization
- Implementation of manual or computerized accounting systems (QuickBooks,
AccPac, Dac Easy, etc.)
- Resolving accounting problems, whether clerical, technical, or caused by
invalid accounting assumptions
site and home page creation for
systems (analog and digital):
- Digital Telephone System configuration since 1976, installation, upgrades and conversions
- Configuration, installation and programming of digital telephone switches (digital PBXs)
for businesses of all sizes
- Troubleshooting existing telephone systems of any size (including Centrex, Mitel and
- Repair or replacement of existing telephone equipment
650-595-0310 or 650-595-5961
240 Harbor Boulevard
Belmont, CA 94002-4022
COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS InfoTech
Belmont, CA 94002-3748
COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS INC.
Our name defines what we provide.
Here are some
webpages we've created with links to technical articles and short tutorials:
- Comparing Mainframe Security Products
- This article was inspired by the following question on a Mainframe Security Gurus
online forum: "MAINFRAMERS! What is your primary mainframe security package?"
- Web-Safe Color Mini-Palette
- Find which colors are compatible with all browsers and which will also display
most quickly whenever anyone opens one of your webpages. This page is a quick
- Expanded Web-Safe Color Palette
- Choose from among the 216 colors that are compatible with all browsers and that will
display most quickly whenever anyone opens one of your webpages. This page is a complete
reference to them all.
- Miscellaneous Web Links #3
- Many subjects: Business, Jobs & Career, Internet Safety, Fun Stuff, Stockbrokers
& such, September 11th, etc.
This webpage will be sporadically updated.
- Websites -- Designing, Creating, Publishing, Optimizing ...
- In building this website we discovered many website building tips, tutorials, etc. We
thought it good to share them.
Thanks for visiting us!
| We support
full browser compatibility for all of our web pages. This webpage should
display correctly on all browsers released within the last 10 years. Please
e-mail us if you
discover anything wrong with this page (invalid links, image failures, non-compliant
code, etc.). Thank you.
Bruce Grant, COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS
| Content and format Copyright ©2002-2011
All Rights Reserved.
"Solving business problems with technology"
NOTE: Our company address changed effective
Dec. 1, 2008. We moved 3 blocks from our previous location of 16+ years!
Bruce Grant's online Résumé
This page was created 6/22/02 and last updated
8/5/12 0956 PDT.
Its format has remained unchanged since 2003, due to higher priorities.